Office of Senator Al Franken
Job Description for Southern MN Regional Field Representative
The Southern MN Regional Field Representative monitors local issues in 18 counties, covering SE and SW Minnesota, and provides updates to the Senator and appropriate staff on these issues. The Southern MN Regional Field Representative also acts as a liaison between the Senator and local elected officials, government agencies, local organizations and constituents across his or her assigned region in the state.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS REQUIRED:
• Acts as the representative for the Senator within an assigned geographic area of the district, meets with constituents, verbally communicates with constituents, and serves as a liaison with federal, state, and local agencies.
• Develops working relationships with community leaders across the region.
• Works with State Scheduler to arrange and manage the Senator’s calendar when he is in the region.
• Provides the Field Director quarterly written plan for activities and/or issues of importance to the office within the scope of individual duties.
• Informs the Senator and appropriate staff of all happenings in his or her assigned issue areas by screening district media sources and interacting with constituents.
• Assists with event planning, including site visits, town hall meetings and other events as determined by the Field Director, and/or State Director.
• Work with Communications Director on publicity for events and updates for e-newsletter and other office communications.
• Work with DC staff as needed on web update to coordinate placement and timing.
• Exercises discretion regarding policy and legislative issues and the ability to speak on behalf of the senator.
• Attends meetings and events that pertain to federal issues.
• Maintains a working relationship with DC legislative staff on legislative initiatives that pertain to his or her assigned region.
• Present a positive reflection of the Senator and his office while maintaining good working relationships.
This position will require a significant amount of travel around the state of Minnesota with a focus in Southern Minnesota.
Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or related field; strong academic credentials. At least 2 to 3 years of federal experience or working for an elected official.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Thorough knowledge of legislative process and of Senate organization and procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal agencies and departments.
• Knowledge of all issues and events in the region.
• Professional telephone manner.
• Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
• Ability to perform the Essential Job Functions above.
• Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others.
• Thoroughness and careful attention to detail.
• Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in fulfillment of casework responsibilities.
• Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures.
• Knowledge of office computer applications.
• Proficiency in word-processing, databases and spreadsheets preferred.
If you are interested, please email your cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, October 17th, 2012
To have your job opportunity posted on this page, please list it in the Forum. OIEP staff will then repost it here.